Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Love: Expectations NOT met...

.. being the enthusiastic, excitable person that I am, lot's of exciting things are happening in my life..
the last few years, as hard as they have been, they also have been quite exciting at times..
so yesterday, after a day at Hope for Life, reflecting on what is all going on there and at home, and other places, I just felt a bit run down and "not excited" rather blah and grey....
I am fully aware that living a faithful and obedient life might very well look like this for long stretches.. so it is okay..
then , this morning, the "tube ride down the river of my life" became exciting, too exciting, as in more like cataracts fit for some wild water rafting.. holding on tight to what I know is true and trying to ride out the bumps, make wise decisions, deal with emotions of "dependants" and try to navigate through it, by God's strength and grace... wow, not the kind of excitement I am looking for ...

while vacuuming just now, I had another revelation...
thinking of how we perceive love... expecting someone to act a certain way for us to feel loved..
a  norm exists that defines kindness and gentleness, even for love, then there are the different kinds of love: romantic love, tough love, faithful love, love of a mother, love of a father..
when what comes our way is not what we think is the way someone would communicate love we jump to the conclusion that this person just doesn't love us...
but is this always the right way to look at it..
when married I learned to appreciate that there are different ways of showing love, and that someone's ability to show love might be different from your own..
I have also learned that if your "love tank" is filled by God's love ( we need to go to the well every morning!!!) any amount put in, even a small one, will make my cup run over..

these are the thoughts of a woman who has been on this journey a lot longer than the young girl that has concluded something today... I pray that she will one day come to the same conclusion... and that her cup will be filled to overflowing each day, no matter what others around her, me included, are able to show her...

No comments:

Post a Comment