Wednesday, September 26, 2012

.. the locusts came and ate everything???

have been thinking a lot lately of the concept of God "restoring the years the locusts have eaten"...
have talked about it, have heard it used in different scenarios..
in someone almost demanding this restoration from God as something he is entitled to...
mainly though in regards to something bad done to a person and the resulting loss being restored by God...
claimed as a promise, giving hope..

I have read the passage before, but I didn't recall the context, and because I do not want to use the Word in the wrong way.. it happens far too often already, and I will have no part of it if I can help it.. I read the Book of Joel, and there I saw it.. we are kind of using this verse in the wrong way...

truth is that God did restore the years the locusts had eaten... but only after his people repented, turned to Him 
the locusts that came, swarming the land, bringing total destruction of vegetation by invasions repeated over a period of more than one year ...there was famine on every hand, even seeds were  destroyed, storehouses  were emptied,  there was no food for man or beast or wild animals. the water supply had dried up in drought. 
the people of Israel did take such destruction as punishment from God, understanding it as His wrath poured out on them..

so Joel, heard from the Lord and he called the people to repent... 

Even now,” declares the Lord,
    “return to me with all your heart,
    with fasting and weeping and mourning...
Rend your heart
    and not your garments.
Return to the Lord your God,
    for he is gracious and compassionate,
slow to anger and abounding in love,
    and he relents from sending calamity.
 Who knows? He may turn and relent
    and leave behind a blessing—
grain offerings and drink offerings
    for the Lord your God.

it goes on to say:

Then the Lord was jealous for his land
    and took pity on his people.

and this is what He did :

I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten—
    the great locust and the young locust,
    the other locusts and the locust swarm—
my great army that I sent among you.
 You will have plenty to eat, until you are full...

and this is why He did it:
 
and you will praise the name of the Lord your God,
    who has worked wonders for you;
never again will my people be shamed.
 Then you will know that I am in Israel,
    that I am the Lord your God,
    and that there is no other;
never again will my people be shamed.

so.. we definitely can find a promise here... but also a warning..
let's not turn away from the Lord, let's not start worshipping idols... 
let us remember the Lord our God, and the great things He has done..

has He not already given us all we will ever need? did we not "not deserve it at all".. so let us not feel entitlement, just because calamity has been part of our lives..
He owes us nothing.. I choose to praise Him and serve Him no matter what..
He has repaid what the locusts have eaten the moment He saved me from the bottom of the pit..when I was still dead in my transgressions..
my storehouses are filled to overflowing with the love and the grace He has bestowed on me..
I will indeed forever praise Him...

No comments:

Post a Comment