Saturday, December 15, 2012

..unthinkable pain and loss....

before coming home yesterday afternoon, the day had been a GREAT day... you see, I never listen to the radio or even watch the news ( I only see a News site  when I connect to the internet on my laptop).. I was out, running errands and such, never even was on Facebook...

then the news of what had happened hit me with full force..

what an unthinkable, horrifying thing that happened in Newtown, Connecticut... I cannot even get my head around what the families and everyone at the school must go through..
all I know is that, like with all evil and traumatic experiences... it will take a lot of time for the processing and healing to take place..
a no brainer for me is that, like I have heard it said in my Divorce Care group, when we have been hurt that badly it takes the "manufacturer" to do the healing and mending..

I am sure every parent will agree that losing a child is our worst nightmare.. I don't think we can ever really "get over" something like this..

there are, as always, many different reactions to this tragedy... it is human nature to have to blame someone, a law, or the lack of it...

from a "spiritual" biblical point of view, this is what comes to mind:


The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? ( Jeremiah 17 : 9)
we know that we live in a broken world, and that the god of this world has come to steal, kill and destroy... Jesus, however came so that we have life, and have it to the full ( John 10 : 10 )

Jesus also said: I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” ( John 16 : 33 )

Thankfully Jesus has come to heal the brokenhearted and bind up their wounds... and this is, what I think as Christians we should focus on... Praying for the families of the victims and ask for the Lord to comfort them in their grief, to give them the peace they will need to carry on...

going through the break up of my family is not to be compared to something as horrifying as this, but I remember how in the beginning I wasn't able to believe anything could ever get better... that there could come a time when the sadness over the loss and the brokenness would  still be real, but the presence of the Lord would indeed  have healed and hope in Him would have been  restored..

that's my prayer for the families...
May God have mercy on them and hold them close to His heart....

No comments:

Post a Comment